Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Museum at Auschwitz

From an interview with Jacqueline Lichtenstein:

When I visited the Museum at AUSCHWITZ, I stood in front of the display cases. What I saw there were images from contemporary art and I found that absolutely terrifying. Looking at the exhibits of suitcases, prosthetics, children's toys, I didn't feel frightened. I didn't collapse. I wasn't completely overcome the way I had been walking around the camp. No. In the Museum, I suddenly had the impression I was in a museum of contemporary art. I took the train back, telling myself that they had won! They had won since they'd produced forms of perception that are all of a piece with the mode of destruction they made their own.




I guess I would add to this questions about whether we are fully aware of these forms of perception and how we have failed to produce alternatives. The above quote is from Art and Fear by Paul Virilio, who argues that contemporary art is essentially "pitiless".